CONTACT US TODAY:
About our cooperative
In the field of home care, clients have traditionally faced two options. On the one hand they could hire a caregiver directly and enjoy a direct, accountable relationship. However, these individual providers have no support structure, no one to cover them, no training, no supervision or insurance.
On the other hand, clients could turn to an agency which offers this structure, but can lack the direct personal relationship and accountability, and where caregivers often earn minimum wages.
Golden Steps offers the best of both worlds, providing people needing home care with a direct personal relationship that is backed by the cooperative’s structure, insurance, training and supervision. Clients interview and pay our members directly, and members in turn pay a monthly quota to the non-profit cooperative to cover its costs.
Our mission is to provide the best possible care while creating living wage, dignified jobs.
Training and Education
- Anti-oppression and cultural competency
- Topics related to depression among the elderly
- Detecting Alzheimer’s and Alzheimer’s patient care
- Elder abuse prevention and intervention.
- Activities to improve physical, emotional, cognitive and mental condition
- Positive communication among companion, elder client, and family.
- Light housekeeping
- Meal preparation
- Personal care and hygiene
- Assisting on appointments & excursions
- Occupational Safety and Health in companion care
- SAGE training on tailoring care to LGBT seniors
The members are committed to ongoing learning.
- Alzheimer’s Association certified
- Adult/Child/Infant CPR and First Aid
- Health and Nutrition through Cornell University
Golden Steps carries general and professional liability insurance from Western World Insurance Co. to cover all of its members. Please contact us if you would like to see a certificate.
- Each member has three references available upon request.
- Members have received a physical examination.